Our Lady of Fatima
A Brief History....
In July 1947, a group of concerned Catholics living in and around Redvers met to discuss the possibility of establishing a parish in the village. Under the direction of Father Bechard, assistant at Bellegarde, the first council was formed with Mr. Jack Kyle as chairman and Mr. Joseph Lajeunesse as secretary. In late 1949 Archbishop O'Neill of Regina visited the area and boundaries were established. On January 26, 1950, Archbishop O'Neill authorized the formation of Our Lady of Fatima Parish in Redvers. Forty-five (45) families from the existing parishes of Bellegarde/Storthoaks constituted the new parish.
Father J. A. Levesque, the first pastor, celebrated his first Mass on Sunday, February 12, 1950 in the community theatre. Masses were held there until December 3, 1950. Work on a new church began in July, only land donated by Mr. Harry Lamotte. The first Mass was celebrated in the basement on December 10, 1950 and continued to be celebrated there until Mary 3, 1951. The edifice was blessed in the fall of 1954, dedicated to Our Lady of Fatima.
On May 2, 1958 tragedy struck when fire completely destroyed the church. Two army tents were erected on the church grounds and served as a temporary chapel equipped with benches to accommodate 200 people. This "tent church" served the community for the next six months. Excavation for the new church began in July. The foundations were laid in August and on October 13, 1958 Msgr. H. Poirier officiated at the laying of the cornerstone. The first Mass in the new building was celebrated on November 16, 1958 and by the spring of 1959 the interior was completed. Archbishop O'Neill once again blessed the new church on June 24, 1959.
Over the intervening years the parishioners have worked hard to maintain a high standard for the physical building and the spiritual life of the people of Our Lady of Fatima Parish. Further developments in the parish were realized in the building of a new rectory in 1967, the installation of an electric carillon in 1975 and the equipping of the church with an elevator for the accessibility of the elderly and the disabled.
The story of the parish is part of the story of the Archdiocese of Regina. May the people whose vision and sacrifice brought this parish into being and who sustain it still be blessed by Almighty God and held secure through the intercession of Mary, the Mother of God...Our Lady of Fatima!